Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The 11 Dollar House!

I recently went by the 11 Dollar House and checked out what it was all about. It's amazing! For people who don't know, the 11 Dollar House is a house that was supposed to be condemned but two people, David and Esther, were kind enough to save it. Now they are fixing it up and giving it away. Yes, an entire house. For free. True story. I would not lie to you. I went and saw it with my own eyes.

The house is three stories: main floor, upstairs for bedrooms, and the attic, which could be another bedroom or a den. AND the basement. The entire house has been gutted and is in the process of being redone. David does, well, pretty much all of the work and it's pretty much a full-time hobby. He's there from 9-5 every day of the week working away at completing the house.

The interesting thing is this: David is a lawyer, not a carpenter or a tradesman. He has learned everything from books or from his dad. When I visited him at the house, he was putting up siding. Honestly, how many people actually know how to do this?!

Here's how the contest works: you, YES YOU, any random person, sends $11 to David and Esther along with reasoning for why you deserve the house. No job? Need more space? Whatever your reason is, David and Esther want to know. Now of course, people are going to think, "why waste my time? I won't win it." WRONG. The winner isn't just randomly placed in a draw. The entries are all taken into consideration individually. They vary from videos to letters to songs. Whatever you can think of, do it! A lady entered and said that if she won the house, she'd use the basement as a studio to teach people how to do flower bouquets. What would you do with the basement?? ENTER! and tell David and Esther.

They need to have 25 000 entries by December 31, 2008. If they don't get it, the deadline may be extended and if that doesn't work, the house will be sold. Honestly, how often do you get to pay $11 for a house? That's it!

I just think it's crazy that these people have worked on this house for more than 2 years and they're just going to give it away! I don't think I'd even work on my house for 2 years. Seriously. So enter. And tell me if you win the house so I can come visit!!


DO IT!

No comments: